Skip to:

    • Prospective Students

Prospective Students FAQ

If you have additional questions, please contact the FSPH Student Affairs Office.

In the interest of reducing our environmental impact, we no longer have a printed catalogue. All materials are available online.

No. Students must be admitted to UCLA with a degree objective in order to enroll in classes. Courses can be taken at UCLA Extension or through UCLA Summer Sessions without formal admittance.

All degree programs are full-time and all classes are held during the daytime.  Course schedules are like the typical undergraduate schedule so there is flexibility for part-time work, etc. as your schedule permits.

The MS is an academic degree designed for students who desire to specialize in methodology. In general, the MS programs are more research oriented and quantitatively based than the MPH programs. As such, MS programs tend to include extra research modules and more mathematically based coursework.  The MPH programs also include a required 400 hour field work to provide practical experience.

All application materials for the Fielding School’s graduate programs are available on the web. The application is available online for electronic submission at and at

Each year about 1,300 applications are submitted to the Fielding School of Public Health for admission to the various departments and degree programs.  Approximately 225 new graduate students matriculate in the School each Fall.

This varies by department and degree program. Typically, admissions offers are made by mid March.

Students in public health come from all disciplines, although most come from the biological and/or social sciences. Because quantitative methodology is an important part of the M.P.H. curriculum, it is strongly recommended that a basic college-level mathematics course (i.e., linear algebra, calculus) be taken before entry. It is highly recommended that a statistics course also be taken if possible.

Report your GRE score to the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health using GRE code 4225. If you have already taken the GRE and have reported your score only to UCLA using code 48337, you should contact ETS and ask them to report your score to the School of Public Health specifically using code 4225..  GRE test scores are valid for five years.

Letters of recommendation should be submitted to SOPHAS only.  They should NOT be submitted to UCLA.

Your Statement of Purpose should be submitted to SOPHAS only.  Do NOT send your Statement of Purpose to UCLA.

The Fielding School of Public Health utilizes a wholistic review of applications in the admission process.  The minimum GPA for applying is a 3.0.  However, if there is something important that happened (economic status, illness, excessive work, etc.), which affected your grades negatively, you can submit an application.  Please note, the average GPA of those accepted is well above the 3.0 GPA minimum requirement.  

No. Applications are only accepted for the Fall quarter.

First, note that we are looking mainly at your upper division (last 2 years of college) GPA. A couple of bad grades won’t really hurt your application. Be sure to focus on your work experience in your Statement of Purpose. Find letter of recommendation writers who can relate your professional work experience to potential for excellence in the classroom. If you have more questions, you should contact a staff member from the program to which you hope to apply. Contact information is available at

Log into your SOPHAS application and look at the “Status” box on the right side of your screen. Click on “School Designations” to find out if your completed application has been sent to the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health.

We will begin reviewing applications as they are delivered to us from SOPHAS, so it may be in your best interest to apply in advance of the December 1st deadline. The majority of applications are reviewed in January and February.

Admission decisions are made by a committee made up of faculty members from the program to which you have applied.

You should list them in the Relevant Honors and Awards section.

International applicants will follow the same instructions as domestic applicants, but should pay special attention to standardized test requirement and transcript submission procedures. Complete instructions are available at

Please use Institution Code 4837, and Department Code 50 when requesting that test scores be forwarded to UCLA. Please use Code 5688 when requesting that test scores be forwarded to SOPHAS. TOEFL test scores are valid for two years from the date taken.

Only if you have a degree from the following countries: Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), New Zealand and United Kingdom.

As you have graduated from a college or university within the United States you do not have to take the TOEFL exam.

Yes, you can. Just keep in mind, there might be a delay in processing your Visa.

UCLA requires two sets of official transcripts from any institution you attended and recieved academic credit.  One set of official transcripts should be sent directly to the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health Student Affairs Office.  The second set of official transcripts should be sent directly to SOPHAS.

Prospective applicants who have additional questions about UCLA School of Public Health should call the Student Affairs Office at (310) 825-5524, send an e-mail to Sukhwinder Sagoo, or visit the School’s website

For questions about a specific department and/or degree program, contact the Department Student Affairs Officer

For questions about the SOPHAS application process, please call (617) 612-2090, send an e-mail to, or visit

The fee structures for our students vary, depending on the student's residency status and the student's degree program. 

The annual fees for students enrolled in our MS and PhD degree programs can be found at:

The annual fees for students enrolled in our MPH and DrPH degree programs can be found at:

The Fielding School also offers awards, scholarships, training opportunities, employment, summer internship funding, and need-based aid to students. For more information about Financial Opportunities please click here


UCLA has various types of financial aid, including graduate fellowships and scholarships, federal traineeships, need-based scholarships and loans. In order to apply for any type of financial assistance the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be submitted. The FAFSA is available beginning January 1st of each year and is due March 2nd. Please visit the FAFSA web site for applications and additional information at  Support based solely on merit is available in the form of fellowships, traineeships, teaching assistantships, and graduate student researcher positions. For more information, click here.

Yes, please refer to the events section to the right of the Student Affairs home page for dates and times. Open Houses are a great way to learn more about the School, the deparments, programs and admission processes.

UCLA does not offer deferrals. You must re-submit both SOPHAS and UCLA graduate application for the following year.

A maximum of 8 quarter credits may be accepted towards the Master’s degree; however, the course curriculum must be reviewed and approved.

An applicant may inquire on the status of his/her application materials AFTER February 15th.

When applying you must select one department and degree program. If your choice of department feels that you are a strong candidate but would be better fit for another department, they may suggest your application be reviewed by another department. Each applicant being considered for alternate reviews will be notified in advance for approval by the applicant.

If you are an undocumented prospective student, please visit our Resource Page for Undocumented Students.