About the Initiatives
Below are a few examples of the work our faculty are conducting with partners around the world.
- Dr. Anne Rimoin of the department of Epidemiology is working with the Kinshasa School of Public Health to develop public health projects in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Dr. Snehendu B. Kar, Professor Emeritus in the Department of Community Health Sciences, recently served as the Distinguished Professor and Academic Advisor at the Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) and worked to assist PHFI in establishing academic degree programs and 6-8 schools of public health in India.
- Dr. Donald E. Morisky of the Department of Community Health Sciences recently led a course directed to the clinical faculty of the China Medical University in Taichung Taiwan. The course provided skill-building workshops in data collection and preparation of peer-reviewed manuscripts for publication.
- Drs. Anne Pebley, Jessica Gipson, May Wang and Michael Goldstein of the Fielding School of Public Health have a long standing collaboration with the Qinghai University Tibetan Medicine College in China (QUTMC) both for institution strengthening and to conduct collaborative research. They are currently assisting QUTMC in building a public health program and also conducting an evaluation of a novel maternity care model, which their colleagues have implemented.
- In Saudi Arabia, Dr. Abdelmonem Afifi, Dean Emeritus of the UCLA School of Public Health, and Professor of Biostatistics & Biomathematics, taught a two-week intensive course on Biostatistics to the first cohort of MPH degree students at King Saud University College of Medicine in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
By engaging in teaching, collaborative research and by providing technical assistance, FSPH faculty are helping to improve the capacity of the countries around the world to improve the health of their populations.