Previously he served as Director of the Infection Control and Epidemiology and Employee Health Units for the Los Angeles County Jail system. Dr. Malek completed a surgical internship at Stanford University, residency in Preventive Medicine at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, and served as a Lieutenant Commander in the U.S. Public Health Service as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer in the Respiratory and Enteric Viruses Branch, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Atlanta, GA) from 2004-2006. His major research contributions have been in the areas of: post-graduate medical training; healthcare delivery system establishment—particularly in Lifestyle and Preventive Medicine—immunization program development; viral disease epidemiology and prevention in the U.S. and abroad; establishment of surveillance, research and healthcare and public health programs to prevent the spread of communicable diseases.
Mark A. Malek
- MD, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- MPH, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
Areas of Interest
- Lifestyle and functional medicine
- Public health issues related to the U.S. incarcerated population
- William E. Cunningham, MD, MPH; Robert E. Weiss, PhD; Terry Nakazono, MS; Mark A. Malek, MD; Steve J. Shoptaw, PhD; Susan L. Ettner, PhD; Nina T. Harawa, PhD Effectiveness of a Peer Navigation Intervention to Sustain Viral Suppression Among HIV Positive Men and Transgender Women Released From Jail: The LINK LA Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.0150 Published online March 12, 2018
- Nazia Qureshi MPH, Marjan Javanbakht PhD, MPH, Martha Tadesse MPA, MSN, MPH, RN, PHN, Mark Malek MD MPH, Garrett Cox, MPH. Risk-Based HIV Testing at Los Angeles County Men’s Central Jail. J Correct Health Care, 20 Volume: 24 issue: 3, page(s): 309-319. Article first published online: July 5, 2018; Issue published: July 1, 2018
- Malek Mark, Bazazi Alexander R, Cox Garrett, Rival Germaine, Baillargeon Jacques, Miranda Armidia, Rich Josiah D Implementing opt-out programs at Los Angeles county jail: a gateway to novel research and interventions. Journal of correctional health care: the official journal of the National Commission on Correctional Health Care. 2011; 17(1): 69-76.
- Maree Cynthia L, Eells Samantha J, Tan Jennifer, Bancroft Elizabeth A, Malek Mark, Harawa Nina T, Lewis Martha J, Santana Elaine, Miller Loren G Risk factors for infection and colonization with community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the Los Angeles County jail: a case-control study. Clinical infectious diseases: an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. 2010; 51(11): 1248-57.
- Malek Mark A, Teleb Nadia, Abu-Elyazeed Remon, Riddle Mark S, Sherif May El, Steele A Duncan, Glass Roger I, Bresee Joseph S The epidemiology of rotavirus diarrhea in countries in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. The Journal of infectious diseases. 2010; 202 Suppl (11): S12-22.