Skip to:

Resources for Undocumented Students

The Fielding School of Public Health welcomes applications from all students, regardless of citizenship or documentation status.

Quick Facts

If you are an undocumented student and you’d like to apply to the Fielding School of Public Health, here are some important facts:

  • There are no restrictions to prevent undocumented students from attending public graduate or professional schools in California.
  • Under a federal law called FERPA (the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act), universities cannot release a student’s information to a third party, including the fact that they are undocumented, except under very specific circumstances, such as a court order.
  • You are not required to have a Social Security number to apply.
  • Under a law called AB540, you may be eligible to pay in-state tuition.
  • You may be eligible to apply for some forms of financial aid and scholarships.
  • You may be eligible for a fee waiver on your application fee.
  • Under a law called DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), you may be eligible to receive authorization from the government to work.

Legislation Affecting Undocumented Students

Financial Aid Opportunities

Although undocumented graduate students at UCLA are not eligible for funding from state or federal sources, they are eligible to receive aid from institutional and private sources (see the California Dream Act under Legislation above). Note that if you do not have AB 540 status, you cannot receive institutional fellowships from either the University of California or from private donor funds administered through the University of California. Private loans and private scholarships or fellowships through a non-university based entity, or external entity are the only financial aid options.

Additional Resources

Below are some additional resources and contact details on- and off-campus to help you learn more.

Applying to and Studying at the Fielding School 



*Please note that we seek to provide the best available information in order to make it easier for students to learn the government processes surrounding graduate study as well as available resources. However, we are not a government office and our information may not be the most up-to-date or accurate information available. We will do our best to correct errors but cannot guarantee the information contained herein. You should seek advice directly from a qualified person in your area of interest.

If you are aware of any errors, please send us an email with corrections to

This information is current as of June 2014 and has been reviewed by Angela Chen, Undocumented Student Programs Coordinator, UCLA Undocumented Student Program.