Dr. Annette Maxwell is Professor of Health Policy and Management and conducts research at the Center for Cancer Prevention and Control Research and the UCLA Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Equity. She has developed a cancer research program that focuses on reducing cancer disparities. With funding from the NIH, ACS and DOD, she has conducted randomized trials to test interventions to increase breast, cervical and colorectal cancer screening, hepatitis B testing, and to improve adherence to diagnostic follow-up procedures. She has partnered with many community-based organizations and churches to develop and test these interventions and to train peer navigators and community health advisors to recruit participants, deliver program components and conduct assessments. Dr. Maxwell and colleagues are using innovative recruitment strategies and research methods that are acceptable to ethnically diverse communities. Materials and protocols for three of Dr. Maxwell’s trials have been posted at Rtips as examples of research-tested programs that are recommended for broad dissemination.
As investigator for the UCLA Cancer Prevention and Control Research Network and for two CDC funded REACH projects (P.I.s Toni Yancey and Roshan Bastani), Dr. Maxwell has also conducted research to promote the primary prevention of cancer and other diseases by encouraging healthy lifestyles, including physical activity and healthy food choices. In addition, she is conducting research on the implementation and dissemination of evidence-based strategies that have the potential to improve population health.
Areas of Interest
- Cancer Prevention and Control Research
- Community-Partnered Research
- Implementation and Dissemination Research
- Maxwell AE, Bastani R, Vida P, Warda US (2003). Results of a randomized trial to increase breast and cervical cancer screening among low-income Filipino-American women. Preventive Medicine 37:102-109.
- Maxwell AE, Danao L, Crespi CM, Antonio C, Garcia GM, Bastani R (2008). Disparities in Receipt of FOBT versus Endoscopy among Filipino American immigrants. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 17(8):1963-7. PMC2852182
- Maxwell AE and Crespi CM (2009). Trends in colorectal cancer screening utilization among ethnic groups in California: Are we closing the gap? Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 18(3):752-759. PMC2745842
- Maxwell AE, Bastani R, Chen MS Jr, Nguyen TT, Stewart SL, Taylor VM (2010). Constructing a theoretically based set of measures for liver cancer control research studies. Preventive Medicine, 50(1-2):68-73. PMC2813918
- Maxwell AE, Bastani R, Danao LL, Antonio C, Garcia GM, Crespi CM (2010). Results of a community-based randomized trial to increase colorectal cancer screening among Filipino Americans. American Journal of Public Health 100(11):2228-2234. PMC2951922
- Maxwell AE, Jo AM, Crespi CM, Sudan M, Bastani R (2010). Peer navigation improves diagnostic follow-up after breast cancer screening among Korean American women: Results of a randomized trial. Cancer Causes and Control 21(11):1931-1940. PMC2959157
- Maxwell AE, Wang JH, Young L, Crespi CM, Mistry R, Sudan M, Bastani R (2011). Pilot-test of a peer-led small-group video intervention to promote mammography screening among Chinese American immigrants. Health Promotion Practice 12(6):887-899. PMC2990797
- Maxwell AE, Bastani R, Crespi CM, Danao LL, Cayetano RT (2011). Behavioral mediators of colorectal cancer screening in a randomized controlled intervention trial. Preventive Medicine 52(2):167-173. PMC3075444
- Maxwell AE, Danao LL, Cayetano RT, Crespi CM, Bastani R (2012). Evaluating the training of Filipino American community health advisors to disseminate colorectal cancer screening. Journal of Community Health 37(6):1218-1225. PMC3383892
- Chen MS Jr., Fang D, Stewart SL, Ly MY, Lee S, Dang, JHT, Nguyen TT, Maxwell AE, Bowlus CL, Bastani R, Nguyen TT (2013). Increasing Hepatitis B Screening for Hmong adults: Results from a randomized controlled community-based study. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 22(5):782-791. PMC3650126
- Lucas-Wright A, Bazargan M, Jones L, Vadgama JV, Vargas R, Sarkissyan M, Smith J, Yazdanshenas H,Maxwell AE(2014). Correlates of perceived risk of developing cancer among African Americans in South Los Angeles. Journal of Community Health 39(1): 173-180. PMC3889655
- Wang JH, Sheppard V, Liang W, Ma GM,Maxwell AE(2014). Recruiting Chinese Americans into cancer screening intervention trials: Strategies and outcomes. Clinical Trials 11(2):167-77. PMC 3972290
- Maxwell AE, Hannon PA, Escoffery C, Vu T, Kohn M, Vernon SW, DeGroff A (2014). Promotion and Provision of Colorectal Cancer Screening: A Comparison of Colorectal Cancer Control Program Grantees and Nongrantees, 2011-2012. Preventing Chronic Disease 11:E170. doi: 10.5888/pcd11.140183. PMC4184085
- Maxwell AE, Young S, Crespi CM, Rabelo Vega R, Cayetano RT, Bastani R (2015). Social determinants of health in the Mixtec and Zapotec community in Ventura County, California. International Journal for Equity in Health 14 (1):16. PMC4320817
- Bastani R, Glenn BA, Maxwell AE,Jo AM, Herrmann AK, Crespi CM, Wong WK, Chang CL, Stewart SL, Nguyen TT,Chen MS, Jr, Taylor VM (2015). Cluster-Randomized Trial to Increase Hepatitis B Testing among Koreans in Los Angeles. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 24(9):1341-9. PMC4560609