Cost & Aid

The UCLA Fielding School of Public Health is committed to helping students achieve and afford their goals.

woman smiling in graduation cap and gown with balloons that say FSPH in the background

Financial considerations play a key role in any decision about enrolling in graduate school. Recognizing this, the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health is committed to helping students achieve and afford their goals.

Typically, UCLA Fielding School students fund their education through a combination of means, including fellowships, on- and off-campus employment, teaching and research assistantships, loans, and personal savings. Detailed information on these and other common questions and concerns are presented in the Tuition & Fees, Scholarships & Financial Aid, and Funding Resources pages of this website. Prospective applicants can also use the Cost Calculator, or contact the Office of Student Services to explore available funding mechanisms for graduate school at FSPH. In addition, the FSPH Cost of Attendance and Financial Resource Guide offers resources and support.

  • Tuition and Financial Aid

    Detailed tuition and fee costs can be found on the Registrar’s Office Annual and Term Student Fees page.

    Federal student loans and work-study funding is available to eligible domestic students, and processed by UCLA’s Office of Financial Aid. To qualify, students must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    Graduate students are eligible for federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans with an annual loan limit of $20,500, and for Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans with an annual loan limit up to the cost of education minus other aid. Students can also apply for private student loans with lending institutions.

    The Federal Work-Study Program is available to students who demonstrate financial need. Funds are limited and offered to eligible students based on financial need and on-time application status. 

    View UCLA Financial Aid & Scholarships
  • International Students

    Since the university cannot assume financial responsibility for its students, U.S. government regulations require that the university be satisfied that entering international students have sufficient funds to meet all expenses while at UCLA. To meet this requirement, all international applicants must complete and return the Confidential Financial Statement. Be advised that all fees and expenses are subject to change; it is best to plan to have additional funding well beyond the minimum.

    Unless international students have been officially notified in writing of an award from the department or the Graduate Division, they should not expect any financial support from UCLA. Teaching and research assistantships, fellowships, and stipends, as well as tuition fellowships, are not guaranteed for the full academic year or for subsequent years of study, unless stated in writing. Contact the UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars for more information.

    Learn More
  • Undocumented Students

    Financial aid opportunities are available for undocumented prospective students.

    Learn More
  • FSPH, Campuswide & External Scholarship and Funded Training Opportunities

    The UCLA Fielding School offers a variety of scholarships and fellowships. A host of resources and common extramural funding opportunities are available from governmental agencies or private foundations for FSPH students and postdoctoral fellows. These can be found here. Potential applicants for these scholarships are advised to discuss them with their faculty research mentor and their department’s administrator as early as possible, prior to starting the application process. In addition, more than a dozen funded training opportunities can be pursued. 

    View Funded Training Opportunities
  • Working as a Graduate Student

    Many FSPH students seek employment on or off campus during the academic year to help fund their education. Students can work as graduate student researchers (GSRs) or teaching assistants (TAs) in a wide variety of departments across campus, or in work-study and non-work positions. Students serving in GSR or TA positions receive stipends and may be eligible for fee remissions. Opportunities to work on campus pay an hourly rate and are available throughout the academic year on the university’s career services platform, Handshake, or via the comprehensive campus portal, MyUCLA. Work-study positions are limited to students who have been awarded work-study funding based on their FAFSA application. 

    Learn More