Dr. Dana Hunnes has worked as a clinical inpatient dietitian at RR-UCLA Medical Center since 2005. She completed her B.S. at Cornell University with a double major in Nutrition and Human Biology, Health, and Society. Dr. Hunnes completed her RD-training (dietetic internship) at Emory University Hospitals and health system. Her MPH is from UCLA's Fielding School of Public Health, in the department of CHS. Dr. Hunnes' dissertation research focused on how climate change affects food security in Ethiopia. Dr. Hunnes is a sought out media expert in the areas of nutrition, diet, health, and fitness.
- PhD, Community Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 2013
- MPH, Community Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 2007
- RD Internship, Emory University Hospitals, Atlanta, GA, 2004
- BS, Nutrition and Human Biology, Health, and Society, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 2003
Areas of Interest
Climate Change, Sustainable Dietary Patterns, and Food Security, specifically how the impacts of global climate change and variability affect the ability to grow sufficient food and calories in developing countries; in particular, Ethiopia.
- Hunnes, D. (2022) Recipe for Survival. Cambridge University Press.(sole author) Dana E. Hunnes. The Effects of Weather, Asset, and Safety-Net Programs on Household Food Security using Ethiopian Rural Household Panel Data. Regional Environmental Change. (Accepted for Publication).
- Tirado, M.C., Hunnes, D., Cohen, M., Lartey, A. Climate Change and Nutrition Security in Africa. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition. (Accepted for Publication). (B, C)
- (sole author) Dana E. Hunnes. Understanding Rural-to-Urban Migration in Ethiopia: Driving Factors, Analytical Frameworks, and Recommendations [Internet]. Journal of Global Health Perspectives. (2012) Aug 1. Available from: http://jglobalhealth.org/article/understanding-rural-to-urban-migration…
- (sole author) Dana E. Hunnes. An Analysis of Ethiopian Rural-to-Urban Migration Patterns from Primary Interviews [Internet]. Journal of Global Health Perspectives. (2012) Aug 1. Available from: http://jglobalhealth.org/article/an-analysis-of-ethiopian-rural-to-urba…
- Lenard I. Lesser, Dana E. Hunnes, Phedellee Reyes, Lenore Arab, Gery W. Ryan, Robert H. Brook, Deborah A. Cohen. Assessment of Food Offerings and Marketing Strategies in the Food-Service Venues at California Children’s Hospitals Academic Pediatrics – January 2012 (Vol. 12, Issue 1, Pages 62-67, DOI: 10.1016/j.acap.2011.09.004 (B, E)