Dr. Suffet is Professor of Environmental Health Sciences (EHS) and a core member of the Environmental Science and Engineering Program housed in the Institute of the Environment and Sustainability (IoES) . He received his B.S. degree in chemistry from Brooklyn College (1961), his M.S. degree in chemistry from the University of Maryland (1964), and his Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Chemistry from Rutgers University (1968). Dr. Suffet joined UCLA in 1991 after 21 years experience at the Department of Chemistry and the Environmental Studies Institute at Drexel University where he was the P. W. Purdom Professor of Environmental Chemistry.
Dr. Suffet has published more than 225 research papers and co-edited eight research treatises. He is the 1983 recipient of the F. J. Zimmerman Environmental Science Award of the American Chemical Society and the 2001 A. P. Black Award for lifetime achievement in drinking water quality research from the American Water Works Association. Dr. Suffet teaches on topics concerning the transport and fate and treatment of organic compounds in aquatic systems, and analytical and environmental chemistry.
- PhD, Environmental Science and Chemistry, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- MS, Chemistry, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- BS, Chemistry, Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY
- Suffet IH, Burlingame GA, Rosenfeld PE, Bruchet A. Polychlorinated biphenyls in surface runoff from agricultural fields in southern California. Water Science and Technology 2004; 50(4): 25-32.
- Suffet IH, Pedersen JA, Schweitzer LE. Effect of aeration of anoxic estuarine sediments on the distribution, mobility and bioavailability of 2,2 ',4,4 '-tetrachlorobiphenyl. Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society 2003; 226: U514-U514.
- Young CC, Suffet IH. Development of a standard method - Analysis of compounds causing tastes and odors in drinking water. Water Science and Technology 1999; 40(6): 279-285.
- Schweitzer L, Suffet IH. Exposure assessment of taste and odor standards used in the method of flavor profile analysis. Water Science and Technology 1999; 40(6): 209-215.
- Suffet IH, Khiari D, Bruchet A. The drinking water taste and odor wheel for the millennium: Beyond geosmin and 2-methylisoborneol. Water Science and Technology 1999; 40(6): 1-13 .
- Capangpangan MB, Suffet IHM. Validation studies for a new supercritical fluid extraction method for the isolation of hydrophobic organic compounds from filtered suspended solids. Journal of Chromatography 1997; 782(2): 247-256.