Dr. Michael Jerrett is an internationally recognized expert in Geographic Information Science for Exposure Assessment and Spatial Epidemiology. He is a professor in the Department of Environmental Health Sciences at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health. Dr. Jerrett earned his PhD in Geography from the University of Toronto (Canada). For the past 22 years, Dr. Jerrett has researched how to characterize population exposures to air pollution and built environmental variables, how to understand the social distribution of these exposures among different groups (e.g., poor vs. wealthy), and how to assess the health effects from environmental exposures. Over the last decade, Dr. Jerrett has also studied the contribution of the built and natural environment to physical activity, obesity, and several health outcomes. In 2009, the United States National Academy of Science appointed Dr. Jerrett to the Committee on “Future of Human and Environmental Exposure Science in the 21st Century.” The committee recently concluded its task with the publication of a report entitled "Exposure Science in the 21st Century: A Vision and a Strategy." In 2013, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency appointed Dr. Jerrett to the Clean Air Scientific Advisory Sub-Committee for Nitrogen Oxides. From 2014 to the present, Dr. Jerrett has been named to the Thomson Reuters List of Highly Cited Researchers, indicating he is in the top 1% of all authors in the fields of Environment/Ecology in terms of citation by other researchers.
- PhD, Geography, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- MA, Political Sciences/ Environmental Studies, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- BS, Environmental Science, Trent University, Ontario, Canada
Areas of Interest
- Air pollution exposures and health effects
- Built environment
- Physical activity
- Climate change
- Pope CA, Tuner MC, Burnett R, Jerrett M, Gapstur SM, Diver WR, Krewski D, Brook RD. Relationships Between Fine Particulate Air Pollution, Cardiometabolic Disorders and Cardiovascular Mortality. Circ Res. 2014 Oct 27.
- Zhou Y, Jerrett M. Linking Exposure and Health in Environmental Public Health Tracking. Environmental Research. 2014 Sept 25; 134C;453.
- Ortega Hinojosa AM, David MM, Jarjour S, Burnett RT, Mann JK, Hughes E, Balmes JR, Turner MC, Jerrett M. Developing small-area predictions for smoking and obesity prevalence in the United States for use in Environmental Public Health Tracking. Environmental Research. 2014 Sept 25; 134c: 435-452.
- Gunier RB, Jerrett M, Smith DR, Jursa T, Yousefi P, Camacho J, Hubbard A, Eskenazi B, Bradman A. Determinants of manganese levels in house dust samples from CAMACOS cohort. Science of the Total Environment. 2014 Nov 1; 497-498: 360-8.
- Shin HH, Cakmak S, Brion O, Villeneuve P, Turner MC, Goldberg MS, Jerrett M, Chen H, Crouse D, Peters P, Pope CA 3rd, Burnett RT. Indirect adjustment for multiple missing variables applicable to environmental epidemiology. Environmental Research. 2014 June 24.pii: S0013-9351(14)00170-4.
- Jerrett M, McConnell R, Wolch J, Chang R, Lam C, Dunton G, Gilliland F, Lurmann F, Islam T, Berhane K. Traffic-related air pollution and obesity formation in children: a longitudinal, multilevel analysis. Environmental Health. 2014 June 9; 13:49.
- Lee EY, Jerrett M, Ross Z, Coogan PF, Seto EY. Assessment of traffic-related noise in three cities in the United States. Environmental Research. 2014 July; 132:182-9.
- Dadvan P, Ostro B, Figueras F, Foraster M, Basagaña X, Valentin A, Martinez D, Beelen R, Cirach M, Hoek G, Jerrett M, Brunekreef B, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ. Residential proximity to major roads and term low birth weight: the roles of air pollution, heat, noise, and road-adjacent trees. Epidemiology. 2014 July 25 (4): 518-25.
- Reynolds KD, Dahmann N, Wolch J, Joassart-Marcelli P, Dunton G, Rudulph D, Newell J, Thayer J, Jerrett M. Factors predicting the capacity of Los Angeles city-region recreation programs to promote energy expenditure. Health Place. 2014 July 28: 67-72.
- Dell SD, Jerrett M, Bckerman B, Brooks JR, Foty RG, Gilbert NL, Marshall L, Miller JD, To T, Walter SD, Stieb DM. Presence of other allergic disease modifies the effect of early childhood traffic-related air pollution exposure on asthma prevalence. Environ Int. 2014 April; 65: 83-92.
- Duton GF, Almanza E, Jerrett M, Wolch J, Pentz MA. Neighborhood park use by children: use of accelerometry and global positioning sytems. American Journal of Preventative Medicine. 2014 Feb; 46(2):136-42.
- Chen H, Burnett RT, Kwong JC, Villeneuve PJ, Goldberg MS, Brook RD, van Dokelaar A, Jerrett M, Martin RV, Kopp A, Brook JR, Copes R. Spatial association between ambient fine particulate matter and incident hypertension. Circulation. 2014 Feb 4: 129 (5): 562-9.
- Gunier RD, Bradman A, Jerrett M, Smith DR, Harley KG, Austin C, Vedar M, Arora M, Eskenazi B. Determinants of manganese in prenatal dentin of shed teeth from CHAMACOS children living in an agricultural community. Environmental Sciences Technology. 2013 Oct; 47(19):11249-57.
- Jerrett M, Almanza E, Davies M, Wolch J, Dunton G, Spruitj-Metz D, Ann Pentz M. Smart growth community design and physical activity in children. American Journal of Preventative Medicine. 2013 Oct; 45(4): 386-92.
- Visit PubMed