Natalie Digate Muth, MD, MPH, RDN, FAAP is on the adjunct faculty of UCLA Field School of Public Health/Community Health Sciences. She is a dual board-certified pediatrician and obesity medicine physician and registered dietitian. She practices general pediatrics and obesity medicine and serves as the Senior Advisor for Healthcare Solutions for the American Council on Exercise. She also is a diplomat of the American Board of Obesity Medicine.
Recognized for her expertise in childhood obesity, nutrition, fitness, and behavior change, Dr. Natalie Muth is an elected member of the Executive Committee of the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Obesity, the Institute of Medicine Integrated Clinical and Social Systems for the Prevention and Management of Obesity Innovation Collaborative, the healthcare sector workgroup of the National Physical Activity Plan, and the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers. She also is a private sector Co-Chair of the San Diego Childhood Obesity Initiative. She is the author of 5 books and several book chapters and peer-reviewed and trade publications.
Dr. Muth is a strong advocate for systems and communities that support prevention and wellness across the lifespan, beginning at -9 months of age. She supports and advocates for integration of clinic and community systems and resources.
- MD, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- MPH/RDN, Nutrition, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- BS, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
Areas of Interest
- Physical activity and exercise
- Motivational interviewing and behavior change
- Pediatrics and child health
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Muth ND, Vargo K, Bryant CX. The role of the fitness professional in the clinical setting. Current Sports Medicine Reports. July-Aug 2015; 14(4): 301-312.
- Dietz WH, Solomon LS, Pronk N, Ziegenhorn SK, Standish M, Longjohn MM, Fukuzawa DD, Eneli IU, Loy L,Muth ND, Sanchez EJ, Bogard J, Bradley DW. An integrated framework for the prevention and treatment of obesity and its related chronic diseases. Health Affairs. 2015; 34(11): 1456-1463.
- Chatterjee A, Rusher T, Nugent J, Herring K, Rose L, Nehama D, Muth ND. Making an IMPACT: The story of a medical student-designed, peer-led healthy eating and physical activity curriculum. Journal of Biomedical Education. 2015, Article ID 358021
- Muth ND, Laughlin GA, Von Mühlen D, Smith SC, Jr, Barrett-Connor E. HDL Lipoprotein Subclasses are a Potential Intermediary Between Alcohol Intake and Decreased Risk of Cardiovascular Disease: The Rancho Bernardo Study. British Journal of Nutrition. 2010; 104(7):1032-1042.
- Muth ND, Chatterjee A, Williams D, Cross A, Flower KB. Making an IMPACT (Improving Meals and Physical Activity in Children and Teens): Effect of a Pilot School-based Intervention. North Carolina Medical Journal. 2008; 69(6): 432-440.
Books and Monographs
- Muth ND & Sampson S. The Picky Eater Project: 6 Weeks to Healthier, Happier Family Mealtimes. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2016.
- MuthND & Green D(eds).Coaching Behavior Change. San Diego, CA: American Council on Exercise; 2015.
- Muth ND. Sports Nutrition for Health Professionals. Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis Publishing Company; 2014.
- Muth ND. Fitness Nutrition Manual. San Diego, CA: American Council on Exercise; 2013.
- Muth ND. “Eat Your Vegetables!” and Other Mistakes Parents Make. Monterey, CA: Healthy Learning Publishers; 2012.
Chapters or Sections in Books
- Muth ND. Appendix: Governmental Nutrition Guidelines and Recommendations. Medical Exercise Specialist Manual, Bryant, C, ed. San Diego: American Council on Exercise; 2015.
- Muth ND. Chapter 10: Pulmonary Disease: Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder. Medical Exercise Specialist Manual, Bryant, C, ed. San Diego: American Council on Exercise; 2015.
- Muth ND. Chapter 21: Nutritional Supplements and Ergogenic Aids. Exercise Physiology, Porcari J, Bryant C, Fomana C, eds. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis; 2015.
- Muth ND. Chapter 20: Nutrition and Hydration for Optimal Sports Performance, Fitness, and Health.Exercise Physiology, Porcari J, Bryant C, Comana F, eds. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis; 2015.
- Muth ND. Chapter 4: Senior Nutrition. Senior Fitness Manual, Bryant C, ed. San Diego: American Council on Exercise; 2014.