Dr. Hsu brings a diverse background and experience to inform his research and teaching. With training in both engineering and epidemiology, he has applied methods such as program optimization and modeling to the areas of risk assessment, mild traumatic brain injuries (concussions), and the role of firearms in homicide-suicide events. Recent projects have included a needs assessment of gang intervention workers, evaluating community-based programs for violence prevention, and investigating the role of culture and other factors in minority health. In addition to his epidemiology classes (Principles of Epidemiology, Environmental and Social Determinants of Violent Injury), Dr. Hsu also serves as a co-faculty lead on Frontiers in Human Aging, one in a number of undergraduate honors “clusters” that together have been nationally-recognized. Topics and seminars have included the epidemiologic transition of the population, health promotion among the elderly, and Public Health and Aging: Epidemiology, Ethnicity, and Geography.
- PhD, Epidemiology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- MPH, Epidemiology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
Areas of Interest
Epidemiologic/prevention methods for reducing intentional/unintentional injuries. Current Research Interest is Injury prevention through emerging and alternative technologies; motor vehicle and transportation-related injuries; unintentional injuries among elderly; suicide, homicide and assaultive injuries.
- Virk Jasveer, Hsu Paul, Olsen JÃ¸rn Socio-demographic characteristics of women sustaining injuries during pregnancy: a study from the Danish National Birth Cohort.. BMJ open. 2012; 2(4):
- Hess Kristen L, Javanbakht Marjan, Brown Joelle M, Weiss Robert E, Hsu Paul, Gorbach Pamina M Intimate partner violence and sexually transmitted infections among young adult women.. Sexually transmitted diseases. 2012; 39(5): 366-71.
- Sun Yuelian, Hsu Paul, Vestergaard Mogens, Christensen Jakob, Li Jiong, Olsen JÃ¸rn Gestational age, birth weight, and risk for injuries in childhood.. Epidemiology (Cambridge, Mass.). 2010; 21(5): 650-7.
- Kraus Jess, Hsu Paul, Schaffer Kathryn, Vaca Federico, Ayers Kathi, Kennedy Frank, Afifi Abdelmonem A Preinjury factors and 3-month outcomes following emergency department diagnosis of mild traumatic brain injury.. The Journal of head trauma rehabilitation. 2010; 24(5): 344-54.
- Hayes-Bautista David E, Kahramanian Mariam Iya, Richardson Erin G, Hsu Paul, Sosa Lucette, Gamboa Cristina, Stein Robert M The rise and fall of the Latino dentist supply in California: implications for dental education.. Journal of dental education. 2007; 71(2): 227-34.