Dr. Rachael M. Jones, PhD, CIH is a professor in the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health Department of Environmental Health Sciences. Dr. Jones is an exposure scientist and industrial hygienist, with experience with exposure modeling, simulation studies and experiments, and field sampling. Dr. Jones' work has centered on the assessment and control of workplace exposures to infectious agents, especially respiratory viruses. More recently, Dr. Jones begun exploring the impact of power and (in)equity on occupational health and safety. Dr. Jones serves as Chief Editor for the Annals of Work Exposures and Health, the journal of the British Occupational Hygiene Society. Dr. Jones is currently a member of the National Academies of Sciences Standing Committee on Personal Protective Equipment for Workplace Safety and Health.
- Southern California NIOSH Education and Research Center
- Center for Occupational and Environmental Health
- PhD, Environmental Health Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, CA
- MPH, Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA
- BS, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Areas of Interest
Exposure assessment in occupational and environmental settings; Exposure modeling and data analysis; Transmission and prevention of infectious diseases in the workplace; Quantitative microbial risk assessment; Work equity
Five most recent publications:
- O Obuoro, RM Jones. (2022) “Assessing Patterns of Body Contamination after Personal Protective Equipment Removal among Healthcare Workers: A Scoping Review” American Journal of Infection Control. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajic.2022.09.008 PMID: 36116680
- AM Wilson, K Kaur, RM Jones, KE Kelly. (2022) “Feasibility of a high-volume filter sampler for detecting SARS-CO-V2 RNA in COVID-19 patient rooms.” Annals of Work Exposures and Health. 66(2); 276-280. DOI: 10.1093/annweh/wxab100. PMID: 34791020.
- J Huang, GW Park, RM Jones, AM Fraser, J Vinje, X Jiang. (2022) “Efficacy of EPA-registered disinfectants against two human norovirus surrogates and Clostridioides difficile endospores.” Journal of Applied Microbiology 132(6): 4289-4299. DOI: 10.1111/jam.15524. PMID: 35279925. PMCID: PMC9119914.
- MJ Woodfield, RM Jones, DK Sleeth. (2022) “Influence of face shields on exposures to respirable aerosol.” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. 19(3): 139-144. DOI: 10.1080/15459624.2021.2023163. PMIOD: 34982641.
- AM Wilson, C Schaefer, DK Sleeth, RM Jones. (2022) “Transmission of respiratory viral diseases to healthcare workers: COVID-19 as an example.” Annual Reviews of Public Health. 43: 311-330. DOI: 10.1146/annurev-publhealth-052120-110009. PMID: 34995130.