Dr. Robert Brook is Professor of Medicine, and Health Policy and Management. He also directs the Clinical Scholars Program and is a Corporate Fellow at RAND and the Director of RAND's Health Sciences Program. Dr. Brook teaches a course entitled, "Quality of Care" in the Fielding School of Public Health, and leads a doctoral seminar on health services and health policy research as part of the Clinical Scholars core curriculum. He received his M.D. from the Johns Hopkins Medical School and his Sc.D. from the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health. Dr. Brook’s research interests include quality assessment and assurance; the development and use of health status measurements in health policy; the efficiency and effectiveness of medical care, and the variation in use of selected services by geographic area. He is a member of the Institute of Medicine, the American Society for Clinical Investigation, the American Association of Physicians, and the Board of Overseers, UC Davis Medical School. He was awarded the Baxter Foundation Prize for excellence in health services research, the Rosenthal Foundation Award of the American College of Physicians for contributions to improving the health of the nation, the Distinguished Health Services Researcher Award of the Association of Health Services Research, and the Robert J. Glaser Award of the Society of General Internal Medicine. Dr. Brook is the author of over 250 articles on quality of care.
- MD, Johns Hopkins Medical School, Baltimore, MD
- ScD, Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD
Areas of Interest
- Quality Assessment and Assurance
- Development and Use of Health Status Measurements in Health Policy
- The Efficiency and Effectiveness of Medical Care
- Variation in Use of Selected Services by Geographic Area
- Park RE, Brook RH, Kosecoff J. "Explaining variations in hospital death rates: Randomness, severity of illness, quality of care." JAMA. 1990;264:484-490.
- Rogers WH, Draper D, Kahn KL, Keeler EB, Rubenstein LV, Kosecoff J, Brook RH. "Quality of care before and after implementation of the DRG-based prospective payment system: A summary of effects." JAMA. 1990;264:1989-1994.
- Pearson ML, Kahn KL, Harrison ER, Rubenstein LV, Rogers WH, Brook RH, Keeler EB. "Differences in quality of care for hospitalized elderly men and women." JAMA. 1992;268:1883-1889.
- Bernstein SJ, Kosecoff J, Gray D, Hampton JR, Brook RH. "The appropriateness of the use of cardiovascular procedures: British versus U.S. perspectives." Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 1993;9:3-10.
- Kattlove H, Liberati A, Keeler E, Brook RH. "Benefits and costs of screening and treatment for early breast cancer. Development of a basic benefit package." JAMA. 1995;273:142-148.
- Kerr EA, Mittman BS, Hays RD, Leake B, Brook RH. "Quality assurance in capitated physician groups: Where is the emphasis?" JAMA 1996 276:1236-1239.
- Laouri M, Kravitz RL, French WJ, Yang I, Milliken JC, Hilborne L, Wachsner R, Brook RH. "Underuse of coronary revascularization procedures: Application of a clinical method." J Amer. Coll. Card. Vol. 29, No. 5, pp 891-897, 1997.
- Froehlich F, Pache I, Burnand B, Vader JP, Fried M, Kosecoff J, Kolodny M, DuBois RW, Brook RH, Gonvers JJ "Underutilization of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy Gastroenterology" 1997;112:690-697.