Dr. Robert J. Kim-Farley currently serves as a Professor-in-Residence with joint appointments in the Departments of Epidemiology and Community Health Sciences at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health.
From 2004 to 2018, he served as the director of the Division of Communicable Disease Control and Prevention at the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. His responsibilities included supervision of the Acute Communicable Disease Control Program, the Vaccine Preventable Disease Control Program (Immunization Program), the Tuberculosis Control Program, the Veterinary Public Health and Rabies Control Program and the Public Health Laboratory.
Dr. Kim-Farley holds degrees in Electronic Engineering, Public Health and Medicine from the University of California. He is board certified in Preventive Medicine and Public Health.
Dr. Kim-Farley previously served as a career epidemiology field officer with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); the World Health Organization (WHO) Representative to India and the chairperson of the United Nations (UN) Theme Group on HIV/AIDS for the Joint UN Program on AIDS (UNAIDS) in India; the WHO Representative to Indonesia; director of the WHO Expanded Programme on Immunization, Geneva, Switzerland; public health advisor for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Washington, D.C.; and the regional advisor for the Expanded Programme on Immunization, WHO South-East Asia Regional Office (SEARO), New Delhi, India.
He is the author of numerous articles and publications in the field of public health.
- MD, University of California, San Francisco, CA
- MPH, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- BSEE, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA
Areas of Interest
- Reduction, elimination and eradication of communicable diseases
- Global public health
- Epidemiology for evidence-based health policy
- Mitigation of, preparedness for, and response to the natural occurrence, accidental release, or the deliberate use of biological agents
- Kim-Farley, Robert, and Dunning, Lauren: “Epidemics and Pandemics as Transnational Issues: The Challenge of the Novel Coronavirus." Georgetown Journal of International Affairs. Online Edition, 23 March 2020.
- Kim-Farley, Robert J: “Medical Countermeasures: A Stitch in Time Saves Nine” as Responsible Associate Editor. AJPH, Supplement 3, 2018, Vol 108, No. S3, pp. S177-8.
- Kim-Farley, Robert J: "Public Health Disasters: Be Prepared" as Responsible Associate Editor. AJPH, Supplement 2, 2017, Vol 107, No. S2, pp. S120-1.
- Kim-Farley, Robert J: “The Dangerous Curve and the Guardrail: Disease and Vaccination” Editorial. AJPH. January 2017, Vol 107, No. 1, pp. 15-7.
- Kim-Farley, Robert J: “Progress and Setbacks in Addressing Infectious Diseases” as Editor’s Choice. AJPH, August 2013, Vol 103, No. 8, pp. 1349-1349.
- Kim-Farley Robert J, Celentano John T, Gunter Carol, Jones Jessica W, Stone Rogelio A, Aller Raymond D, Mascola Laurene, Grigsby Sharon F, Fielding Jonathan E. "Standardized emergency management system and response to a smallpox emergency." Prehospital and disaster medicine: the official journal of the National Association of EMS Physicians and the World Association for Emergency and Disaster Medicine in association with the Acute Care Foundation. 2007; 18(4): 313-20.