Dr. Roshan Bastani, Ph.D., is a professor in the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health and Director of the UCLA Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Equity and Co-Director of the UCLA Center for Cancer Prevention and Control Research. In the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, she is Director for Disparities and Community Engagement and Co-Director for Cancer Control and Survivorship program. She also served an 11-year term as Associate Dean for Research in the School of Public Health.
Dr. Bastani is a social and health psychologist who has been conducting health disparities intervention research for over three decades, with a focus on implementing rigorous yet pragmatic individual, community, and system-directed intervention trials to improve quality of care and health outcomes, and reduce disparities. She has led a large number of studies among low income, ethnic minority and immigrant populations in both clinical and community settings, and has had continuous research funding from the National Institutes of Health since 1988. Her research is conceptually grounded and includes strong and equitable community partnerships. Her methodological expertise includes survey research; qualitative methods; quantitative methods; research design; comparative effectiveness trials; program evaluation; implementation science; and utilization of electronic health records and other administrative databases for research.
Dr. Bastani’s research includes studies on breast, cervix, colorectal and prostate cancer screening and diagnostic follow-up; hepatitis B screening; lung cancer screening; tobacco control; melanoma prevention; obesity control; liver disease; and HPV vaccine uptake. This work includes examination of the drivers of disparities among underserved groups, implementation of pragmatic intervention trials to mitigate observed disparities, methodological studies, as well as studies to advance theory in the field. Examples of her current research include two system-focused pragmatic implementation trials to increase HPV vaccine uptake among low income, ethnic minority adolescents in the county health department and two large multi-site Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) (NCI R01; PCORI); a system-level cluster-randomized obesity prevention intervention trial set in preschools located in underserved neighborhoods (NICHD R01); an implementation trial of a multilevel, system intervention to improve CRC screening in a large FQHC serving an ethnic minority, low income population (California Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program-TRDRP); a study to identify gaps in clinical care processes contributing to low rates of diagnostic follow-up of abnormal findings on Fecal Immunochemical Testing (NCI R03); an evaluation of effective approaches for reducing the excess cervical cancer burden in Malawi and Kenya (NCI R56); and a cluster-randomized trial of a multilevel health system intervention to increase surveillance colonoscopy for high risk polyps (NCI R01).
In addition to conducting her own research, Dr. Bastani devotes considerable effort to mentoring junior investigators, particularly minority individuals and those interested in research among underserved populations. For over 15 years, she led a National Cancer Institute post-doctoral career development program with a heavy focus on transdisciplinary cancer control training and disparities research.
- PhD, Psychology (Social/Health), University of Houston, Houston, TX
- MA, Psychology, Bombay University, Bombay, India
- BA, Psychology, Bombay University, Bombay, India
- Bastani R, Kaplan CP, Maxwell AE, Nisenbaum R, Pearce J, Marcus AC (1995). Initial and repeat mammography screening in a low income multi-ethnic population in Los Angeles. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 4(2):161-167. PMID: 7742724
- Bastani, R., Maxwell, A.E., Bradford, C., Prabhu Das, I., Yan, K. (1999). Tailored risk notification for women with a family history of breast cancer. Preventive Medicine, 29(5): 355-364. PMID: 10564627
- Bastani R, Berman BA, Belin TR, Crane LA, Marcus AC, Nasseri K, Herman-Shipley N, Bernstein S, Henneman CE (2002). Increasing cervical cancer screening among underserved women in a large urban county health system: Can it be done? What does it take? Medical Care. 40(10): 891-907. PMID: 12395023
- Bastani, R., Yabroff, K.R., Myers, R.E., Glenn, B. (2004). Interventions to improve follow-up of abnormal findings in cancer Screening. Cancer, 101(S5):1188-1200. PMCID: PMC1811062
- Mojica CM, Bastani R, Boscardin WJ, Ponce NA (2007). Low-income women with breast abnormalities: System predictors of timely diagnostic resolution. Cancer Control, 14(2):176-182. PMID: 17387303
- Bastani R, Glenn BA, Maxwell AE, Ganz PA, Mojica CM, Chang LC (2008). Validation of self-reported colorectal cancer (CRC) screening in a study of ethnically diverse first-degree relatives of CRC cases. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 17(4):791-798. PMID: 18381469
- Bastani R, Glenn BA, Taylor VM, Chen MS, Nguyen TT, Stewart SL, Maxwell AE (2010). Integrating theory into community interventions to reduce liver cancer disparities: The Health Behavior Framework. Preventive Medicine, 50(1-2):63-67. PMCID: PMC3243444
- Bastani R, Mojica CM, Berman BA, Ganz PA (2010). Low-income women with abnormal breast findings: Results of a randomized trial to increase rates of diagnostic resolution. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 19(8):1927-1936. PMID: 20647406
- Maxwell AE, Bastani R, Danao LL, Antonio C, Garcia GM, Crespi CM (2010). Results of a community-based randomized trial to increase colorectal cancer screening among Filipino Americans. American Journal of Public Health, 100(11):2228-2234. PMCID: PMC2951922
- Bastani R, Glenn BA, Tsui J, Chang LC, Marchand EJ, Taylor VM, Singhal R (2011). Understanding suboptimal human papillomavirus vaccine uptake among ethnic minority girls. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 20(7):1463-1472. PMCID: PMC3132826
- Glenn BA, Bastani R, Maxwell AE, Mojica CM, Herrmann AK, Gallardo NV, Swanson KA, Chang LC (2012). Prostate cancer screening among ethnically diverse first-degree relatives of prostate cancer cases. Health Psychology, 31(5):562-570. PMID: 22708522
- Tsui J, Singhal R, Rodriguez HP, Gee GC, Glenn BA, Bastani R (2013). Proximity to safety-net clinics and HPV vaccine uptake among low-income, ethnic minority girls. Vaccine, 31(16):2028-2034. PMCID: PMC3629820
- Tu S, Chun A, Yasui Y, Kuniyuki A, Yip M, Taylor V, Bastani R (2014). Adaptation of an evidence-based intervention to promote colorectal cancer screening: A quasi-experimental study. Implementation Science, 9(85). PMCID: PMC4226971
- Bastani R, Glenn BA, Maxwell AE, Ganz PA, Mojica CM, Alber S, Chang LC (2015). Randomized Trial to Increase Colorectal Cancer Screening in an Ethnically Diverse Sample of First-Degree Relatives. Cancer, 121(17):2951-9. PMCID: PMC4545725
- Bastani R, Glenn BA, Jo AM, Herrmann AK, Crespi CM, Wong WK, Chang LC, Stewart SL, Nguyen TT, Chen MS, Taylor VM (2015). Cluster-Randomized Trial to Increase Hepatitis B Testing among Koreans in Los Angeles. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 24(9):1341-9. PMCID: PMC4560609
- Glenn BA, Lin T, Chang LC, Okada A, Wong WK, Glanz K, Bastani R (2015). Sun protection practices and sun exposure among children with a parental history of melanoma. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 24(1):169-77. PMCID: PMC4295624