Professor of Environmental Health Sciences (EHS) and a faculty member of the UCLA Center for Occupational and Environmental Health (COEH), Dr. Shane Que Hee came to the Department in 1989 from the University of Cincinnati where he had been Assistant and Associate Professor since 1978. As of 2023, he had 238 peer-reviewed publications including 138 in peer-reviewed journals, 88 book chapters, 4 books, six EPA criteria documents,153 national & international meeting presentations, and 66 keynote addresses at international and national meetings. In addition, he has had 45 grants awarded as Principal Investigator at UCLA. He has organized 20 scientific roundtables and symposia at national and international meetings and also organized and taught in 4 Professional Development courses. He has graduated 18 doctor of philosophy, 23 Master of Science, and 26 Master of Public Health students from UCLA. He was Department Vice Chair 1992-1994, and Interim Chair 2020-2022. He is a Fellow of the American Institute of Chemists and the American Industrial Hygiene Association. He is an Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Awardee. He formed the first national committee for risk assessment of skin absorbed chemicals. He reviews for many academic journals and government agencies. He has been a member of TOXNET, the NIOSH Board of Scientific Counselors, and the National Toxicology Program. His research interests include glove permeation of chemicals; development of sampling and analysis methods for workplace chemicals in the air, water and soil; bioassay directed chemical analysis with emphasis on gas chromatography-mass spectrometry for organics and inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry for metals and elements; exposure assessment; and risk assessment.
He is also Distinguished Professor, Institute of Environmental Health, School of Public Health, National Taiwan University.
- PhD, Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- MSc, Physical Chemistry, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- BSc, Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Blum, L., Diep, K., Que Hee, S.S. (Eds.), “Biological Monitoring: A Practical Field Manual,” 2nd Edition, American Industrial Hygiene Association, Falls Church, VA, 2022,130 pp. ISBN 978-1-950286-11-9.
Que Hee, S.S. (Ed.), “Biological Monitoring: A Practical Field Manual,” American Industrial Hygiene Association, Fairfax, VA, 2004,103 pp. ISBN 0-442-23677-8.
- Que Hee, S.S. “Analysis of Hazardous Waste,” Government Institutes, Rockville, MD, 1999, 832 pp. ISBN 0-86587-609-6
- Que Hee, S.S. (Ed.), “Biological Monitoring: An Introduction,” Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, NY, 1993, 650pp. ISBN 0-442-23677-8
- Que Hee, S.S. and Sutherland, R.G. “The Phenoxyalkanoic Herbicides. Volume 1: Chemistry, Analysis, and Environmental Pollution”, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1981, 321pp. ISBN 0-8493-5851-5.
Takaku-Pugh, S. and Que Hee S.S. Double Gloving of Disposable Nitrile Gloves Exposed to Diethylene Glycol Mono n-Butyl Ether. J. Occup. Environ. Hyg. 17: 334-342, 2020.
Banaee, S. and Que Hee, S.S. Glove permeation of Chemicals: The State of the Art of Current Practice. Part 2. Research Emphases on High Boiling Point Compounds and Simulating the Donned Glove Environment. J. Occup. Environ. Hyg. 17: 135-164, 2020.
Banaee, S. and Que Hee, S.S. Permeation of Ethoxy- and Butoxy- Ethanols Through a Disposable Nitrile Glove. Industrial Health 58:276-281, 2020.
Banaee, S. and Que Hee, S.S. Glove permeation of Chemicals: The State of the Art of Current Practice. Part 1: Basics and the Permeation Standards. J. Occup. Environ. Hyg. 16: 827-839, 2019.
- McLachlan, S.M., Aliesky, H., B. Banuelos, Que Hee, S.S., and Rapoport, B., “Variable Effects of Dietary Selenium in Mice that Spontaneously Develop a Spectrum of Thyroid Autoantibodies,” Endocrinology 158: 1-11, 2017.
- Banaee, S. and Que Hee, S.S., “Permeation of Limonene through Disposable Nitrile Gloves using a Dextrous Robot Hand,” J. Occup. Health, 59, 131-138, 2017.
- Mathews, A. and Que Hee, S.S., “Whole Glove Permeation of Cyclohexanol Through Disposable Nitrile Gloves on a Dextrous Robot Hand: Fist Clenching Versus Non-clenching,” J. Occup. Env. Hyg., 14, 252-257, 2017.
- Mathews, A. and Que Hee, S.S., “Whole Glove Permeation of Cyclohexanol Through Disposable Nitrile Gloves on a Dextrous Robot Hand and Comparison with the Modified Closed-Loop ASTM F739 Method 1. No Fist Clenching,” J. Occup. Env. Hyg., 14, 243-251, 2017.
- Chen, Y., Shu, L., Qiu-Z., Lee, D.Y., Settle, S.J., Que Hee, S., Telesca, D.,Yang, X. and Allard, P. “Exposure to the BPA-Substitute Bisphenol S Causes Unique Alterations of Germline Function.” PLOS Genetics, 2016, 22pp. Open Access, http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1006223
- Mathews, A. and Que Hee, S.S., “Quantitative Leak Test for Microholes and Microtears in Whole Gloves and Glove Pieces.” Polymer Testing, 54: 244-249, 2016.
- Kinzie, C., Que Hee, S.S., Stich, A., Tague, K.A., Mercer, C., Razink, J.J., Kennett, D.J., DeCarli, P.S., Tankersley, K.B., Kimbel, D.R., Culleton, B.J., Erlandson, J.M., Stafford, T.W., Kloosterman, J.B.; Moore, A.M.T., Firestone, R.B., Aura Tortosa, J.E., Jordá Pardo, J.F., West, A., Kennett, J.P., Wolbach, W.S., Bunch, T.E., Wittke, J.H., Israde-Alcantara, I., Bischoff, J.L., Goodyear, A.C. “Nanodiamond-rich Layer across Three Continents Consistent with 1 Major Cosmic Impact at 12,800 cal BP.” J. Geology, 122: 475-506, 2014.
- Que Hee, S.S. and Zainal,H., “Permeation of Chlorothalonil through Nitrile Gloves: Collection Solvent Effects in the Closed-Loop Permeation Method”, J. Hazard. Mater., 179: 57-62, 2010
- Kennett, D.J., Kennett, J.P., West A., West,G.J., Bunch,T.E., Culleton B.J., Erlandson,J.M.,Que Hee, S.S., Johnson, J.R., Mercer,C., Shen, F., Sellers, M., Stafford, Jr.,T.W., Stich, A., Weaver, J.C., Wittke,J.H., and Wolbach, W.S., “Shock-synthesized Hexagonal Diamonds in Younger Dryas Boundary Sediments”, Proc. Nat. Acad.Sci., 106:12623-12628, 2009.
- Kennett, D.J., Kennett, J.P., West, A., Mercer, C., Que Hee, S.S., Bement, L., Bunch, T.E., Sellers, M., and Wolbach, W.S., “Nanodiamonds in the Younger Dryas Boundary Sediment Layer”, Science 323: p94 , 2009.
- Phalen, R.N. and Que Hee, S.S., “ A Moving Robotic Hand System for Whole Glove Permeation and Penetration: Captan and Nitrile Gloves”, J. Occup. Environ. Hyg., 5: 257-270, 2008.
- Xu, W., Que Hee, S.S., “Swelling of Four Glove Materials Challenged by Six Metalworking Fluids”, Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 54:1-8, 2008.
- Firestone, R.B. West, A., Kennett, J.P., Becker, L., Bunch, T.E., Revay, Z.S., Schultz, P.H., Belgya, T., Dickenson, O.J., Erlandson, J.M., Goodyear, A.C., Harris, R.S., Howard, G.A., Kennett, D.J., Kloosterman, J.B.,Lechler, P., Montgomery,J., Poreda, R., Darrah, T., Que Hee, S.S., Smith, A.R., Stich, A., Topping, W., Wittke, J.H. , and Wolbach, W.S. Evidence for an Extraterrestrial Impact 12,900 Years Ago that Contributed to the Megafaunal Extinctions and the Younger Dryas Cooling. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., 104: 16016-16021, 2007.
- RN Phalen, SS Que Hee. Permeation of Captan Through a Disposable Nitrile Gloves J. Hazardous Materials, 2003; 100(1-3): 95-107.
- SH Yim, SS Que Hee. Bacterial mutagenicity of some tobacco aromatic nitrogen bases and their mixtures Mutat. Res, 2001; 492(1-2): 13-27.