By training, I'm both a psychologist and an epidemiologist. Reflecting that, my interests lie in understanding how psychological and social factors influence health. In particular, my work focuses on understanding the role of social stigma and discrimination in health care access, health behaviors, mental health, and health outcomes.
- PhD., Clinical Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
Areas of Interest
- Psychosocial determinants of health-related behaviors.
- An N, Cochran SD, Mays VM, McCarthy WJ. Influence of American acculturation on cigarette smoking behaviors among Asian American subpopulations in California.. Nicotine Tob Res. 2008; 10(4): 579-87.
- Corliss, H.L., Grella C, Mays V.M., Cochran, S.D. Drug Use, Drug Severity and Help-seeking Behaviors of Lesbian and Bisexual Women. Journal of Women's Health 2006; (15): 556-568.
- Burgard, S.B., Cochran, S.D., Mays, V.M. Alcohol and Tobacco Use Patterns Among Heterosexually and Homosexually Experienced California Women. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2005; (77): 61-70.
- Cochran, S.D., Ackerman, D., Mays, V.M., Ross, M.W. Prevalence of Non-Medical Drug Use and Dependence Among Homosexually Active Men and Women In The US Population. Addiction 2004; (99): 989-998.
- Yancey, A.K., Cochran, S.D., Corliss, H.L., Mays, V.M. Correlates of Overweight and Obesity Among Lesbian and Bisexual Women. 2003; (36): 676-683.
- PubMed Publications