Dr. Tony Kuo is Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology in the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Fielding School of Public Health and Health Sciences Clinical Professor of Family Medicine in the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine. He is also a Program Leader for the Population Health Program at the UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute. In 2016, he became a Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians. In the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, he serves as the Director of the Division of Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention.
Dr. Kuo is an experienced public sector executive and physician researcher who has worked extensively in population health, including on programs and interventions that affect special populations (e.g., older adults, food insecure families). These and other work have included projects in tobacco control; cardiovascular health; clinical and preventive services, including the National Diabetes Prevention Program; nutrition and physical activity promotion; injury prevention; aging, and social conditions that affect health.
- Department of Family Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- Population Health Program, UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute
- Division of Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- Board of Directors, LAC+USC Medical Center Foundation and The Wellness Center at the Historic General Hospital
- BS, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- MD, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
- MSHS, University of California, Los Angeles, Fielding School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA
- FAAFP, American Academy of Family Physicians, Leawood, KS
Areas of Interest
- Aging Population/Healthy Aging
- Chronic Disease Epidemiology
- Health Services and Medicine
- Nutrition and Food Policy
- Obesity Prevention
- Policy Analysis/Assessment
- Program Evaluation
- Public Health Practice
- Social Determinants of Health
- Kuo T, Jarosz CJ, Simon P, Fielding JE. Menu labeling as a potential strategy for combating the obesity epidemic: A health impact assessment. Am J Public Health 2009;99(9):1680-1686.
- Kuo T, Gase LN, Inkelas M, The Population Health and Policy Workgroup. Dissemination, implementation, and improvement science research in population health: Opportunities for public health and CTSAs. Clin Transl Sci 2015;8(6):807-813.
- Kuo T, Robles B, Trogdon J, Ferencik R, Simon P, Fielding JE. Framing the local context and estimating the health impact of CPPW obesity prevention strategies in Los Angeles County, 2010-2012.J Public Health Manag Pract 2016;22(4):360-369.
- Kuo T, Chen S, Oh SM, Barragan NC, American Heart Association Western States Chronic Disease Prevention and Management Committee. Comprehensive medication management as a standard of practice for managing uncontrolled blood pressure. Front Med (Lausanne) 2021;8:693171.
- Visit PubMed