Dr. Xi Zhu, PhD, is an Associate Professor and the Paul Torrens Chair in Healthcare Management in the Department of Health Policy and Management at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health. Dr. Zhu received his PhD in Sociology from the University of Minnesota. His research focuses on micro and macro organizational behaviors in healthcare delivery systems. Specifically, his work uses quantitative and qualitative methods to explore questions in three broad areas: 1) how team design, team process, and quality improvement activities in healthcare organizations affect care quality and safety; 2) how market and policy environments affect healthcare organizations’ structures, strategies, and efficiency; and 3) how changes (e.g., quality improvement initiatives, innovations) are implemented in healthcare organizations and what strategies may facilitate the change processes. Together, his research builds on organization, team, and implementation sciences to identify strategies and approaches for advancing patient care while improving micro and macro healthcare systems.
- Center for Healthcare Management
- Center for Cancer Prevention and Control Research
- UCLA Center for Health Policy Research
- UCLA Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Equity
- PhD, Sociology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- MS, Business Administration, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China
- BS, Accounting/Applied Mathematics, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, China
Areas of Interest
- Team design, process, and effectiveness
- Healthcare system transformation
- Inter- and intra-organizational networks
- Quantitative and qualitative methods
- Zhu X, Huang H, MacKinney A, Ullrich F, Mueller KJ. 2022. Medicare ACO Characteristics Associated with Participation in Two-sided Risk. Journal of Rural Health.
- Huang H, Zhu X, Wehby G. 2022. Primary Care Physicians’ Participation in the Medicare Shared Savings Program and Preventive Services Delivery: Evidence from the First Seven Years. Health Services Research.
- Huang H, Zhu X, Ullrich F, MacKinney A, Mueller KJ. 2022. The Impact of Medicare Shared Savings Program Participation on Hospital Financial Performance: An Event Study Analysis. Health Services Research.
- Zhu X, Weigel P, Baloh J, Nataliansyah M, Gunn N, Mueller KJ. 2019. Mobilising Cross-Sector Collaborations to Improve Population Health in US Rural Communities: A Qualitative Study. BMJ Open.
- Zhu X, Tu SP, Sewell D, Yao N, Mishra V, Dow A, Banas C. 2019. Measuring Electronic Communication Networks in Virtual Care Teams Using Electronic Health Records Access-Log Data. International Journal of Medical Informatics.
- Zhu X, Mueller KJ, Huang H, Ullrich F, Vaughn TE, MacKinney A. 2019. Organizational Attributes Associated with Medicare ACO Quality Performance. Journal of Rural Health.
- Zhu X, Wholey DR. 2018. Expertise Redundancy, Transactive Memory, and Team Performance in Interdisciplinary Care Teams. Health Services Research.
- Zhu X, Wholey DR, Cain C, Natafgi N. 2017. Staff Turnover in Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) Teams: The Role of Team Climate. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research.
- Zhu X, Baloh J, Ward MM, Stewart G. 2016. Deliberation Makes a Difference: Preparation Strategies for TeamSTEPPS Implementation in Small and Rural Hospitals. Medical Care Research and Review.
- Wholey DR, Zhu X, Knoke D, Shah P, Zellmer-Bruhn M, Witheridge TF. 2012. Measuring Teamwork in Assertive Community Treatment (TACT) Teams: Scale Development and Validation. Psychiatric Services.
- Visit PubMed