Dr. Yifang Zhu serves as professor in the Department of Environmental Health Sciences. She graduated from Tsinghua University in 1997 and received her Ph.D. in Environmental Health Sciences from UCLA in 2003. Her research interest is primarily in the field of air pollution, climate change, environmental exposure assessment, and aerosol science and technology. Her current research focuses on measuring and modeling air pollutant emissions, transport, and transformation as well assessing and mitigating the associated health effects. Her scholarship and creativity has been recognized by several national awards, including the Walter A. Rosenblith New Investigator Award from the Health Effects Institute in 2007, the Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award from the National Science Foundation in 2009, and the Haagen-Smit Prize from Atmosphere Environment in 2011.
- PhD, Environmental Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles Fielding School of Public Health, CA
- BS, Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- 2011 Haagen-Smit Prize.
- Yan Lin; Xinchen Lu; Xinghua Qiu; Fen Yin; Kym Faull; Chihong Tseng; Junfeng Zhang; Oliver Fiehn; Tong Zhu; Jesus Araujo, and Yifang Zhu, “Arachidonic Acid Metabolism and Inflammatory Responses to Exposure to Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons”, 2022, Environmental Research, Volume 212, 113498.
- Li Zhang, Pengcheng Wu, Muchuan Niu, Yixuan Zheng, Junxia Wang, Guangxia Dong, Zhe Zhang, Zixuan Xie, Mengbing Du, Hanying Jiang, Hui Liu, Libin Cao, Lingyun Pang, Chen Lv, Yu Lei, Bofeng Cai, and Yifang Zhu, “A systematic assessment of city-level climate change mitigation and air quality improvement in China”, 2022, Science of the Total Environment, Volume 839, 156274.
- Julia C. Fussella, Meredith Franklin, David C. Green, Mats Gustafsson, Roy M. Harrison, William Hicks, Frank J. Kelly, Franceska Kishta, Mark R. Miller, Ian S. Mudway, Farzan Oroumiyeh, Liza Selley, Meng Wang, and Yifang Zhu, “A review of road traffic-derived non-exhaust particles: emissions, physicochemical characteristics, health risks and mitigation measures”, 2022, Environmental Science and Technology, 7;56 (11):6813-6835. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.2c01072.
- Farzan Oroumiyeh, Michael Jerrett, Irish Del Rosario, Jonah Lipsitt, Jonathan Liu, Suzanne E. Paulson, Beate Ritz, James J. Schauer, Martin M. Shafer, Jiaqi Shen, Scott Weichenthal, Sudipto Banerjee, Yifang Zhu, “Elemental composition of fine and coarse particles across the greater Los Angeles area: Spatial variation and contributing sources”, Environmental Pollution, 2022, Volume 292, Part A, 118356.
- Rachel E Connolly, Qiao Yu, Zemin Wang, Yu-Han Chen, Jonathan Z Liu, Ashley Collier-Oxandale, Vasileios Papapostolou, Andrea Polidori, Yifang Zhu, “Long-term evaluation of a low-cost air sensor network for monitoring indoor and outdoor air quality at the community scale”, Science of the Total Environment, 2022, 807, 150797.
- Farzan Oroumiyeh and Yifang Zhu “Brake and tire wear emissions from on-road vehicles: effects of vehicle mass and braking intensity”, 2021, Atmospheric Environment: X, Volume 12, 100121.
- Yan Lin, Xueyao Gao, Xinghua Qiu, Jinming Liu, Chi-Hong Tseng, Junfeng (Jim) Zhang, Jesus A Araujo, and Yifang Zhu “Urinary Carboxylic Acid Metabolites as Novel Biomarkers of Exposures to Alkylated Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons” 2021, Environment International Volume 147, 106325.
- Liqiao Li, Muchuan Niu, and Yifang Zhu “Assessing the effectiveness of using various face coverings to mitigate the transport of airborne particles produced by coughing indoors” 2020, Aerosol Science and Technology, 55 (3), 332-339.
- Liqiao (Vicky) Li, Yan Lin, Tian Xia, and Yifang Zhu, “Effects of Electronic Cigarettes on Indoor Air Quality and Health”, 2020, Annual Review of Public Health, Jan 7, PMID: 31910714.
- Tianyang Wang, Zhe Jiang, Bin Zhao, Yu Gu, Kuo-Nan Liou, Nesamani Kalandiyur, Da Zhang, and Yifang Zhu, “Health co-benefits of achieving sustainable net-zero greenhouse gas emissions in California”, 2020, Nature Sustainability, 3, 597–605.
- Yan Lin, Gajalakshmi Ramanathan, Yifang Zhu, Fen Yin, Nolan D Rea, Xinchen, Lu, Chi-Hong Tseng, Kym F Faull, Alexander J Yoon, Michael Jerrett, Tong Zhu, Xinghua Qiu, and Jesus A Araujo, “Pro-Oxidative and Proinflammatory Effects After Traveling From Los Angeles to Beijing: A Biomarker-Based Natural Experiment”, 2019, Circulation, 2019;140:1995–2004. PMID: 31744317.
- Bin Zhao, Tianyang Wang, Zhe Jiang, Yu Gu, Kuo-Nan Liou, Nesamani Kalandiyur, Yang Gao, and Yifang Zhu, “Air quality and health co-benefits of different deep decarbonization pathways in California”, 2019, Environmental Science and Technology, Volume 53, 12, Pages 7163-7171.
- Yan Lin, Xinghua Qiu, Nu Yu, Qiaoyun Yang, Jesus Araujo, and Yifang Zhu “Urinary Metabolites of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons and the Association with Lipid Peroxidation: A Biomarker-Based Study between Los Angeles and Beijing” 2016, Environmental Science and Technology, 50 (7) :3738-45.
- Eon Lee, David Fung, and Yifang Zhu “Evaluation of a High Efficiency Cabin Air (HECA) Filtration System for Reducing Particulate Pollutants Inside School Buses” Environmental Science and Technology, 2015 49 (6), pp 3358–3365.
- Yifang Zhu, Arantza Eiguren-Fernandez, William C. Hinds, Antonio H. Miguel, “In-cabin commuter exposure to ultrafine particles on Los Angeles freeways”. 2007, Environmental Science and Technology. 41: 2138-2145.
- Yifang Zhu, William C. Hinds, Si Shen, Seongheon Kim and Constantinos Sioutas “Study of Ultrafine Particles near a Major Highway with Heavy-duty Diesel Traffic”, 2002, Atmospheric Environment, 36: 4323-4335.
- Yifang Zhu, William C. Hinds, Seongheon Kim and Constantinos Sioutas “Concentration and size distribution of ultrafine particles near a major highway”, 2002, J. of Air and Waste Management Association, 52:1032-1042.