Application Checklist Overview
The Fielding School of Public Health has two required application systems for the MPH, MS and PhD degrees in each department. Applicants should complete the requirements for each application as noted below. Incomplete applications cannot be reviewed.
The priority deadline for matriculation in 2024 is December 1, 2023. If you are applying after this date, please contact the department directly to ensure that applications are still being received.
Step 1: SOPHAS Application
The primary application system for applicants is SOPHAS, the common application for public health schools. Please submit the following materials here:
- Resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Statement of Purpose – Maximum of 1500 words. The statement should describe the following: a) reasons for interest in public health, b) reasons for interest in the program of study and/or concentration; c) reasons for interest in UCLA; and d) career goals. If you are applying to a doctoral program, you should include your proposed research topics.
- Personal Statement – Maximum of 500 words. The personal statement is an additional opportunity for the reviewing committee to learn more about any challenges faced, personal background, and past and future contributions to diversity. Full information can be found on SOPHAS. Applicants should address one or more prompts in the personal statement.
- Three Letters of Recommendation — Applicants with less than five years of professional experience should submit two academic letters and one professional letter. Applicants with more than five years of work experience may submit three professional letters. Letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically by the recommender.
- Official Transcripts – Applicants should submit one set of official transcripts from each institution they have attended. International applicants must submit transcripts through World Education Services (WES) for an official WES evaluation.
- Official GRE Test Scores* — Please check here to determine GRE requirements.
ETS code is: 4225.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores – Applicants may view English proficiency requirements here.
TOEFL code for SOPHAS is: 5688
IELTS code for SOPHAS: See instructions on submitting your scores to SOPHAS here
- Writing Sample – This component is only necessary for doctoral applicants applying to the Department of Community Health Sciences or the Department of Health Policy and Management.
- SOPHAS Application Fee – The fee is nonrefundable. The amount will vary according to the number of applications submitted.
For questions about the application process please contact SOPHAS at:
P.O. Box 9111
Watertown, MA 02471
For Overnight Delivery of Materials Only:
c/o Liaison International
311 Arsenal Street
Watertown, MA 02472
Step 2: UCLA Division of Graduate Education Application
In addition to SOPHAS, applicants must complete the online UCLA Graduate Division application here. Please fill out all required information and submit only the following materials:
- Statement of Purpose – Applicants should use the same Statement of Purpose submitted on SOPHAS.
- Personal Statement – Applicants should use the same Personal Statement submitted on SOPHAS.
- UCLA graduate Application Fee – The fee is nonrefundable.
Letters of recommendation, transcripts, test scores, professional experience, resume, and supporting documents do not have to be submitted on the UCLA application. These materials should ONLY be uploaded to SOPHAS.
If applying for a joint degree program, you must complete all sections of the UCLA graduate application.
Application Requirements for Executive Programs:
Applicants to the MPH-HP, EMPH, MHA and MDSA programs are only required to submit the UCLA Division of Graduate Application. If you are applying to any of these programs do not complete a SOPHAS application.