Dr. Jonathan Fielding is a Distinguished Professor of Health Policy and Management and of Pediatrics in the Schools of Public Health and Medicine at UCLA. Dr. Fielding is an expert in public health preparedness and communications.
He served as Massachusetts Commissioner of Public Health and for 16 years as Public Health Director and Health Officer for Los Angeles County. In this capacity, he was responsible for the county’s public health response to numerous infectious disease threats. He served as a founding member of the U.S. Clinical Preventive Services Task Force and, for 17 years, as Chair of the U.S. Task Force on Community Preventive Services. He chaired the Advisory Committee for the U.S. Healthy People 2020 objectives and is currently Co-Chair for the Healthy People 2030 objectives. He was appointed by President Barak Obama to the National Advisory Group on Prevention, Health Promotion and Integrative and Public Health, and is an elected member of the National Academy of Medicine.
Dr. Fielding founded the UCLA Center for Health Advancement, which models policies and programs to cost-effectively improve health and health equity and also researches waste in medical care. He is also a founder and co-director of the UCLA Center for Healthy Climate Solutions, which focuses on protecting human health from the harmful effects of climate change. He has authored or coauthored more than 300 original articles, commentaries, editorials and chapters on various aspects of public health, preventive medicine, health services, and health economics. He is the longstanding editor of the Annual Review of Public Health and currently writes a monthly opinion column on health issues for The Hill.
Dr. Fielding holds MD, MPH, and MA degrees from Harvard University and an MBA from the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. His honors include the UCLA Medal, the Sedgwick Medal, and the Roemer, Fries and Porter prizes, as well as honorary doctorates. The UCLA Fielding School of Public Health is named for him and his wife Karin.
- MD, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- MPH, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- MA, History of Science, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- MBA, Wharton School of Business Administration, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Areas of Interest
- Health Promotion
- Prevention Economics
- Public Health
- Preventive Services
- McCullough Jeffrey C, Zimmerman Frederick J, Fielding Jonathan E, Teutsch Steven M “A Health Dividend for America: The Opportunity Cost of Excess Medical Expenditures” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2012; 43(6): 650-4.
- Nicole, L., Wasserman, J., Stoto, M., Myers, S., Molander, R., Mussington, D., Solomon, V., Namkung, P., Fielding, J.E., Valdez, R.B., “Local Variation in Public Health Preparedness: Lessons from California” Health Affairs, Web Exclusive, DOI 10.1377/hlthaff.W4.341 – Project HOPE – The People-to-People Health Foundation, Inc. (2004).
- Briss, P.A., Brownson, R.C., Fielding, J.E., Zaza, S. “Developing and Using the Guide to Community Preventive Services: Lessons Learned About Evidence-Based Public Health” Annu. Rev. Public Health, 25:281-302 (2004).
- Yancey, A.K., Kumanyika, S.K., Ponce, Ninez A., McCarthy, W.J., Fielding, J.E., Leslie, J.P., Akbar, J., “Population-based Interventions Engaging Communities of Color in Healthy Eating and Active Living: A Review”, Preventing Chronic Disease, Vol.1, No.1 (2004).
- Anderson, L.M., Brownson, R.C., Fullilove, M.T., Teutsch, St.M., Novick, L.F., Fielding, J.E., Land, G.H. “Evidence-Based Public Health Policy and Practice: Promise and Limits” Am Journal of Prev Med, 28 (5S) (2005).
- Simon, P.A., Leslie, P., Run G. Jion, G.Z., Rporter, R. Aguirre, A., Fielding, J.E., “Impact of Restaurant Hygiene Grade Cards on Foodborne-Disease Hospitalizations in Los Angeles County” JEnviron Health, Mar;67 (7):32-6, 56; quiz 59060 (2005).
- Eisenman, D.P., Wold, C., Fielding, J.E., Long, A., Setodji, C., Hickey, S., Gelberg, L., “Differences in Individual-Level Terrorism Preparedness in Los Angeles County” Am J Prev Med, Vol.30, No.1 (2005).
- Simon, P.A., Fielding, J.E., “Public Health and Business: A Partnership That Makes Cents” Health Affairs 25, no.4, 1029-1039 (2006).
- Fielding, J.E., Briss, Peter A., “Promoting Evidence-Based Public Health Policy: Can We Have Better Evidence And More Action?” Health Affairs 25, No.4, 969-978 (2006).
- Cole, B.L., Shimkhada, R., Fielding, J.E., Kominski, G., Morgenstern, H., “Health Impact Assessment: Current Practice and Future Potential to Increase Awareness of Population Health Impacts of Policy Decisions” Annu. Rev. Public Health 28:393-412 (2007).
- Ockene, J.K., Edgerton, E.A., Teutsch, S.M., Marion, L.N., Miller, T., Genevro, J.L., Loveland-Cherry, C.J., Fielding, J.E., Briss, P.A., “Integrating Evidence-Based Clinical and Community Strategies to Improve Health” Am J Prev Med: 32 (3):244-252 (2007).
- Simon, P.A., Kwan, D., Angelescu, A., Shih, M. Fielding, J.E., “Proximity of Fast Food Restaurants to Schools: Do Neighborhood Income and Type of School Matter?” Prev. Med., doi:10.1016/j.ypmed.02.021 (2008).