The vegan food delivery service Daily Harvest recalled a lentil-based product after customers claimed on social media that they’d become severely sick after eating it. The company said that it had received approximately 470 reports of illness or adverse reactions, including gastrointestinal issues and potential liver damage, according to a press release issued Thursday.
Consumers have been using a Reddit forum to share stories about becoming sick after eating the company’s French Lentil and Leek crumbles. One customer described “debilitating” stomach pain that landed the person in the emergency room. Others said they’d experienced fever, jaundice and full-body itching.
More stories from consumers surfaced and spread on TikTok after online influencers received the Daily Harvest product as part of a public relations package from the company. In a video posted on TikTok, Abigail Silverman said she’d wound up in the hospital with severe gastrointestinal pain a day after eating the product. “They couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me,” said Ms. Silverman, a creative director. She said in an interview that after consuming the crumbles, she had gone to the emergency room with “excruciating pain” and a 101.8-degree fever. Tests showed that her liver enzyme levels were elevated and that bacteria was present in her urine.